For this major wiring assignment I choose to do an instructable about shooting and the proper form needed to make shooting easier.
1) I decided to do this writing assignment because I edited a classmates so I knew the layout and kind of what to expect on it. I figured this might be a easy project to do because I got to pick the topic and do something I like. The one I edited before helped me layout how to do this project and what things I needed to do it.
2) I started this project about two weeks in advance because I knew choosing when my participants were free was going to be a little challenging based upon their schedules. I completed this project last night with putting everything together. I knew to start this project in advance then the previous one. I think I would use the same amount of time based upon it.
3) My proofreading/copying process was looked over by my tutor because I wanted to make sure I had the right stuff and do everything with help.
4) I wish I would have known that I needed to bring two copies of the usability teasing information in and that I needed two copies of exactly everything. I also wish I would have chosen more people who don’t have any basketball experience and no practice.
5) The advice I would give to someone doing this project is make sure you don’t wait until the last minute to do this project and make sure you choose participants who are willing to be test dummies whether they are having fun or not. The people I choose had fun because they learned new skills and had fun.
Overall I would say this project was really fun and being able to teach people these skills was challenging and worth it.
Today I interviewed Mr.Messer in class today. He is from San Antonio, Texas. He wanted to go to school in Texas but did not want to attend Texas or Texas A&M so he decided to become a bear. He studies finance and decided to choose that because he wanted to study business but not a part of business with hard classes and not too much school or have significant amount of hours to take. The only class he writes for is this english we are in which also requires the most writing and all his major classes involved in requires the least amount of writing. The writings he has done in college are about the same as the ones he did in high school. Jared is not a big fan of writing on a personal basis and chooses not to do any. Jared’s business law class is the only class he really reads for which is every night, the amount depends on how he feels. In his spare time and for his pleasure he tends to read sports articles and ESPN articles whether online or on his phone with the ESPN app. Jared does not have a favorite book just common interest in sports.
This rewrite of my first introductory critique I felt a lot better about because I knew what to expect and how to properly do it. Sometimes on an assignment like this you might not know exactly what to talk about, all the important information you need, or how to write enough stuff and stay on the 1 page limit.
1) I would say that my first written critique was fairly good for my first time doing an assignment like that. The comments and feedback based upon the initial one I wrote was helpful because I knew what I needed to do to make it better and what all needs to be discussed.
2) I know that the detailed summary should be fairly longer then your response because the detailed summary needs elaborate details and more information about the reading. Each point or idea in the executive summary, detailed summary, and response needs its own paragraph. Your response needs to include a outside source tying the reading with it.
3) The most substantive changes that I made were adding more information or details to the detailed summary, giving each point in the sections its own paragraph, and adding an outside source. I did not really have to change much just add more. Continue reading
TO: ENGL 3300 E4
CC: Mark Long
RE: Critique of Grant Wiggins “Seven Keys to Effective Feedback” revision
Author: Royce O’Neale
Grant Wiggins goes deep into detail about what “feedback” really is by breaking t down into specific characteristics and explains in depth how efficient it can be in the article “Seven Keys to Effective Feedback“.
Feedback is used in comments made after a fact has been stated, advice has been given, praise has been worshipped, and evaluation has been responsive. The essentials of creative and well-equipped feedback are goal-referenced, tangible and transparent, actionable, user-friendly, timely, ongoing, and consistent that all leads up to progression of a goal without time.
Overall he made good arguments in favor of providing feedback for students and gave helpful examples. However it would have been helpful to see how feedback works with students.
He mentions that there are certain qualities for feedback that make it successful. Goal- referenced is called effective feedback requires that a person has a goal, takes action to achieve the goal, and receives goal-related information about someone’s actions. Tangible and transparent shows the student that there would be some kind of response to their goal. Actionable feedback means that the student understands what they need to do to fix the issue. Feedback should be user-friendly because students cannot do anything with it if they do not understand it. Feedback should be timely and on going so that students are in the frame of mind to keep working and getting help and it should be consistent so they are learning to complete their goal.
Wiggins does a good job breaking down the characteristics about what effective feedback is. That type of information is encouraging for educators because they see that there is a purpose for giving that response to students. The way he compares feedback vs. advice was helpful in explaining the difference between the two.
The only negative quality was that he did not present how the students actually reacted to feedback. According to Maryellen Weimer “Getting Students to Act on Our Feedback” many students do not change anything because they think the teachers are just justifying the grade that they received. It would be interesting to see his response about how he feels about that by using first hand encounters with students and teachers.
My introductory critique paper received a C+ grade, mainly because I wasn’t too sure how to write a critique or know how it would be graded. I took into consideration off what all I need to do better for next time and make the grade better with comments.
1) I would focus more on adding more details to the detailed summary to make more elaborate and informative. Also take out the questions that were trying to make a point and next time explain what I was trying to get across. Lastly provide an outside source in my response to connect with the reading.
2) Structural wise I would split the paragraphs into different parts for each point to have its own section.
3) Voicing I wouldn’t use first person using I, me, our, or anything that include myself .
4) Overal my spelling and punctuation is good but I would eliminate contractions like won’t and doesn’t. I would also make the executive summary more clear to explain what I am going to be discussing.
1) For my first major writing assignment, I chose to do the website analyst. I chose this assignment because I figured out of all the choices that we had this would be the most interesting one because it has something to do with the field we want to study.
2) I started this assignment the day after we were assigned and briefly talked about the assignment. Luckily that day I had tutoring with my english tutor for this class and she helped my layout things to talk about based on the specifications discussed on blackboard. I did not fully continue to work on the assignment as time came close to the deadline because of other school work and extracurricular activities. I completed this assignment around 10:30 last night while working on it most of the day and putting it together. I figured that this assignment isn’t like previous writing assignments I have written in the past so I knew that it would take time and numerous hours to accomplish and finish.
3) This writing assignment was unique and different then other assignment I have did in the past. I never wrote a website analyst before or anything like this so I wasn’t to sure about what all needs to be included to make sure the project is done well.
4) Now that I am done, I wish I would have known how to use the flowchart and how to properly insert screenshots into the assignment to make it better. The flowchart was really hard and difficult to understand how to do it.
5) For my next assignment I would definitely do this assignment ahead of time so I could ask questions on specific to make sure I’m doing it right. I would make sure that I follow the specifications online so I make sure I have everything and a good information . Advice I would give is to do this ahead of time, make sure you know how to screenshot and use them, use the flowchart system or find someone who does, and ask questions about the assignment if worried about something.
My name is Royce O’Neale, I’m on the basketball team #00,
From Killeen, TX not too far, nickname is buckets or real deal
I like shoes
Nice to meet y’all